After a five-game month to open the season, I have the Razorbacks sitting at 3-2 entering October. But the second month of the season sees a pair of SEC title contenders come to the Natural State in Alabama and Georgia.
Here's how the October schedule shakes out: OPEN DATE, Alabama, Georgia (LR) and Alabama-Birmingham.
That's right, Arkansas doesn't leave the state in October after being out of Fayetteville for three of its first five contests of the season. Let's get to the October schedule.
Game #6: #2 Alabama at Arkansas
Things to know:
– Results of last two matchups: Yeah, let's just not.
– 5 teams received first place votes in Coaches Poll, Alabama was NOT one of those teams.
– Had 16 players named to All-SEC Media Days teams.
– Lose eight players to NFL Draft, including AJ McCarron, CJ Mosely, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, and Cyrus Kouandjo.
– Lost final two games of 2013-14 season - Auburn and Oklahoma.
RB Derrick Henry - Has been named to the Doak Walker, and Maxwell Award watch lists. Standing at a monstrous 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, Henry has been dubbed the "freak of all freaks" by Bama 247 Sports. Henry burst on the scene in the Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma last season, racking up 161 all-purpose yards, two scores and a special teams tackle. His Heisman odds, according to Bovada LV, are 25/1, so give me some of that action.
QB Jacob Coker - The new Tide signal caller has already been named to the Maxwell and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch lists without playing a snap for Alabama. He is one of five QBs in the SEC named to the Golden Arm watch list. Coker, in his career, has thrown for just 295 yards with a score and one interception. He has enormous shoes to fill after the departure of Mr. Katherine Webb.
LB Trey DePriest - The senior linebacker has been named an All-SEC first team selection by the league media, and is a second team All-SEC selection by the AP. DePriest racked up 65 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss alongside CJ Mosely in 2013. He has also been named to the Butkus, Nagurski and Bednarik Award watch lists.
DB Landon Collins - A 2014 preseason All-American, Collins is the guy in the Tide secondary following the departure of Vinny Sunseri and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Collins racked up 75 tackles (second on the team) in 2013. The junior saw time at both safety positions last season due to Sunseri's injury. He's also been named to the Jim Thorpe, Nagurski, Bednarik and Lott Impact Awards watch list.
Game #7: #12 Georgia at Arkansas (Little Rock)
Things to know:
– Lose Aaron Murray and TE Arthur Lynch to NFL.
– Lee Greenwood will perform at halftime of UGA's Nov. 22 home game vs. Charleston Southern. Haha you thought I was going to write this game.
– Georgia leads all-time series with Arkansas 9-4. The last Arkansas win in the series before 2010 was 1993.
RB Todd Gurley - The Bulldogs number one back has been named to the Doak Walker, Walter Camp, and Maxwell Award watch lists. Gurley was named an All-SEC second team selection last season despite playing only 10 games due to an ankle injury. He ran for 989 yards and 10 scores last season. His legs are actually tree trunks.
QB Hutson Mason - The quarterback played in five games and made two starts as a junior following Aaron Murray's season ending injury. Mason threw for 968 yards and five scores in that span, including a 320 yard performance vs. Nebraska in the TaxSlayer.com Bowl. Mason has been named to the Davey O'Brien Award watch list.
LB Amarlo Herrera - Might be the most criminally underrated player in the nation. Herrera is from College Park (Ga.) where they chop cars, eat twenty grand, spend a grand at the bar. He finished 2013 second on the team in tackles with 112 (3rd most in the SEC). He is not listed on any preseason watch lists nor was he named to the first, second or third team All-SEC teams. Also, Braylon Mitchell was named to the Butkus Award watch list, Herrera was not. Let that sink in.
LB Ramik Wilson - Named to the Butkus, Walter Camp, Bednarik, Nagurski, and Lombardi Award watch lists. Wilson is also a first team All-American selection by Sporting News, and an first team All-American and All-SEC selection by Phil Steele. He is the SEC's top returning tackler (133). Had a career-high 18 tackles vs Auburn last season.
Game #8: UAB at Arkansas
Things to know:
– Ranked 120/128 teams in USA Today's team countdown.
– 2-10 in 2013 (lost to Southern Miss who was riding 23 straight L's coming in), but according to Bill Connelly's advanced stats, UAB shouldn't have won a game.
– Still play home games at Legion Field. Program has eight wins last three seasons and have averaged four wins per season the last decade.
– Former Razorback Maudrecus Humphrey plays WR for the Blazers (#3).
RB Jordan Howard - The Blazers top returning back after rushing for 881 yards and two scores in 2013. Played in 11 games with I've starts. He is a preseason first team All-CUSA selection by Athlon, and third team by Phil Steele. Howard underwent shoulder surgery in the offseason.
WR Jamarcus Nelson - Hauled in 42 passes for 846 yards and eight scores last season (20 YPC). Nelson stands at a menacing 5-foot-10, 160 pounds, but has sprinter's speed. Racked up over 100 receiving yards last season four times, including 199 and two scores vs Troy in the 2013 season opener. He is a second team All-CUSA pick by Athlon and Phil Steele.
DE Diaheem Watkins - Recorded 37 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and got to the quarterback 5.5 times in 2013. Enters 2014 as one of the more experienced players on the UAB roster with 30 career starts. Watkins is a second team All-CUSA pick by Athlon and Phil Steele.
K Ty Long and P Hunter Mullins - Both are first team All-CUSA picks by Phil Steele. Mullins punted 51 times a season ago for an average of 43 yards per. Long kicked 33 touchbacks in 62 chances. He was also 35-35 on PATs, 11-13 on field goals from 39 yards and in, and 5-11 on kicks 40 yards and out.
October is a tough month for Arkansas despite having a bye week. After breaking down the second month of the season, I have Arkansas finishing October 1-2.
Wins: UAB, OPEN DATE :)
Losses: Alabama, Georgia
- UA Creating Razorback Rooftop Student Club on South End Zone Upper Deck of DWRRS
- Arkansas Razorbacks Fall Camp Practice Report - August 12th
- Matt Lauer Can Get Out of My Face With This Hog Call
- Do Gus Malzahn's Teams Start Their Seasons Slowly?
- Otha Peters Transferring From Arkansas, Per Bret Bielema Tweet