A few quick facts about junior fullback Patrick Arinze and freshman safety Korliss Marshall:
- At 5-foot-10, 238 pounds, Arinze is 16 pounds lighter than he was listed in the spring and 32 pounds lighter than he was when he arrived on campus. (Score another one for strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert)
- Arinze is a walk-on, coming to Fayetteville from Grossmont Community College in California, where injuries limited him to 10 games and just nine carries in two seasons. Though his destination for the 2013 season is likely as a back-up to fullback Kiero Small, Arinze showed surprising strength as a between-the-tackles runner in the spring and could get some action at tailback in short-yardage situations. He led all rushers in the spring game with 67 yards on nine carries.
- Arinze started on the offensive line as a 5-10, 215-pound senior at Helix High School in La Mesa, Calif., and reportedly set the school's squat record with 685(!) pounds.
- Though he was recruited as a safety, if the depth chart ever gets thin at running back, Bielema & Co. can call on Marshall (6-0, 196). The speedster from Osceola was one of the best high school backs in Arkansas last fall and finished his high school career with more than 4,000 rushing yards.
- Marshall reports a 40-yard dash time in the 4.4 range and a 39-inch vertical leap. He's also an accomplished track athlete and was the Class 4A state champion in the triple jump as a sophomore.
- Marshall expressed no reservation about switching to defense, and when his offer from Arkansas finally came late in the process, he eagerly accepted.
"I have no problem with the defensive back at all. I’m really familiar with the safety and corner positions, it’s just a fact that I’ve basically been a running back my whole life. It’s a blessing to be able to beat up on somebody else for a change. Once you’ve been beat up for eight years maybe, it’s an honor."
A few highlights from Marshall's days at Osceola:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u6hWRzeRZa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Korliss Marshall- Sr -RB Osceola High School, Osceola Arkansas (via leggman131652002)